Herdsperson Abbotts Manor Dairy Farm Leckford Estate Jobs Vacancy at Waitrose Stockbridge
- Herdsperson Abbotts Manor Dairy Farm Leckford Estate
- Stockbridge ENG
- 09 Feb, 2018 30+ days ago
Waitrose Stockbridge urgently required following position for Herdsperson Abbotts Manor Dairy Farm Leckford Estate. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Herdsperson Abbotts Manor Dairy Farm Leckford Estate Jobs Vacancy at Waitrose Stockbridge Jobs Details:
Job Type Agriculture
Food Technology Region South East England Location Leckford
Stockbridge Preferred Hours Full and Part Time Partnership Level 10 Closing Date 1 Apr 2018 Vacancy Type Permanent Salary 8.65 - 10.60 Salary Frequency per hour Hours of Work Full time
55 hour week, however, flexibility is required from candidates.
11 out of 14 days, to include every other weekend.
Early shift - 03:30-09:00
Afternoon shift - 13:30-18:30
Other part-time shifts may be available Duties & Responsibilities The Leckford Estate is about 1,600 hectares in size and, as well as producing milk, it also processes milk (albeit milk produced off the Estate) and produces a diverse range of other agricultural products, mostly for sale through Waitrose:
- 600 hectares of combinable crops (including wheat that is milled to produce flour)
- Cold-pressed rapeseed oil (grown, pressed and bottled on the Estate)
- 22 hectares of orchards producing dessert apples and pears (with second class fruit used for juice and cider)
- 7 hectares of vines producing grapes for Leckford Estate sparkling wine
- 27 tonnes per week of brown mushrooms
AMD produces more than 5 million litres of milk annually and this is processed by Dairy Crest along with milk from more than 50 other Waitrose Dairy Farmers, with the end-product appearing in stores as essential Waitrose Milk.
As well as the 600 milking cows, the Estate therefore also carries around 400 followers and beef cattle. Calves are reared on milk replacer using hutches. Post-weaning, the dairy heifers are winter-housed in the old dairy buildings at Longstock, on the other side of the Estate.
Please note that more information about the Dairy Farm is available on our Job Description for this role - please contact email@example.com if the advert you are viewing does not include the facility to download a copy. Job Requirements This opportunity is part of a team of eight full-time roles in the AMD team and is an important role in the operation and success of Abbotts Manor Dairy, one of the high profile enterprises on the Estate and, indeed, one of the high profile dairies in the UK. Consequently, the successful candidate will need to have at least two years experience as a herdsperson or assistant herdsperson and have good practical dairy cow skills.
The role would suit someone who:
- Has at least 2 years operational experience at a comparable level
- Has a good practical knowledge of dairy farming and is very much focused on cow health, welfare and production
- Shows attention to detail in all aspects of their work and a commitment to excellence in all areas
- Is committed to putting in the effort required to be part of a successful dairy team
- Is flexible and adaptable
- Is always willing to learn and develop
- Is a committed team-player
- Has good health and safety awareness
- Has a good understanding of the Partnership and/or of Partnership values
- Safe use of telescopic handler
- Safe use of ATV
- Milking a herd of >250 cows
- Being responsible for calving cows
- Working as part of a team of >4 Required desirable experience skills and qualifications - Minimum level 1 diploma in agriculture
- Dairy skills, e.g. AI, foot trimming
- Practical skills, e.g. AI, foot trimming
- Record-keeping (paper & computer)
- Machinery/equipment maintenance