Ata Level Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship Medimmune Jobs Vacancy at Cogent Ssc Cambridge
- Ata Level Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship Medimmune
- Cogent Ssc
- Cambridge ENG
- 14 Sep, 2017 9 days ago
Cogent Ssc Cambridge urgently required following position for Ata Level Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship Medimmune. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Ata Level Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship Medimmune Jobs Vacancy at Cogent Ssc Cambridge Jobs Details:
You will be responsible for carrying out a number of Tissue Culture and Molecular Biology activities to support the diverse range or projects ongoing within the group. This is a great opportunity to become proficient in both standard and advanced techniques in these two areas. Genome engineering is an area that is very high profile just now after the discovery of the CRISPR/Cas system. This represents a great opportunity to work in industry-leading laboratories at the cutting edge of drug discovery.
General workplace Health and Safety
- To be aware of and conduct work according to all current company policies and procedures e.g. Laboratory Code of Practice, Human Tissue Act, Health and Safety.
- To understand and comply with risk assessments & control including Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) assessments and Safety Data Sheets
- To demonstrate appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE) i.e. Lab coat, gloves
- To maintain housekeeping in accordance with company Standard Procedures
- To report faults and seek diagnostic advice to maintain equipment in good working order
- To order and control stocks of laboratory supplies and consumables
- To understand the management and control of laboratory waste, the handling and disposal of chemical substances.
- To understand, follow and apply quality procedures and Standard Procedures to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to their work
- To understand the impact of quality within Research and it being fundamental for allowing rigorous conclusions to be reached
- To understand goals and tasks assigned and where you are unsure, to question others to gain clarity of these tasks and goals
- To effectively communicate to others (verbally and in writing) the detail of your tasks/workload on a daily/weekly or monthly basis either on a 1-to-1 basis or in team meeting environments.
- To effectively work within a team and be able to deliver upon team goals as well as individual goals
To carry out both Tissue Culture and Molecular Biology activities to support the diverse range or projects ongoing within the Genome Engineering group
- Manual cell culture
- Cell counting
- Cell cryopreservation
- Reagent preparation
- Prepare for and perform laboratory techniques following any specified methodologies
- DNA preparations
- ABI sequencing
- Primer design
- Vector design
- To demonstrate technical competence in the use of specified instruments and equipment following Standard Procedures
To perform role specific tasks within the Genome Engineering team
- Cell culture and monitoring of cell proliferation
- Media preparation
- Reagent ordering, aliquoting and storage
- Cell freezing
- Working with DNA
- Reagent ordering
- To complete documentation proficiently including relevant calculations
- To understand error reporting and correction techniques e.g. for traceability
- To demonstrate an understanding of the relevant good documentation practices. To keep accurate records of laboratory work undertaken and results
- To contribute to the preparation of reports to a level commensurate with job role
- Use of electronic laboratory notebooks when available in undertaking and recording laboratory tasks
- To identify sources of error and how they can be reduced by demonstrating problem solving techniques
- To demonstrate an open-minded approach e.g. more than one solution to a problem
- To understand the importance to report errors and/or problems to Genome Engineering team members and demonstrate this in everyday working
Requirements and prospects
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good numerical and IT Skills
- Excellent team player - ability to get along with colleagues and work as part of a team
- Drive, enthusiasm and ambition with a can-do approach
- Flexible attitude to work - ability to adapt to changing demands and requirements
- High degree of integrity and trust
- Ability to multitask
- Problem solving skills
- Demonstrate a progressive attitude towards developing their knowledge and skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Motivated and enthusiastic
- Have a passion for science and delivering results
- A genuine motivation to drive own development
- Be driven by a desire to make a difference to the lives of patients suffering with severe disease
- Self-motivating with a desire to learn and push the boundaries of the role
- Ability to deal with priority decision making
- Excellent interpersonal and self- management skills
- Will possess 3 A levels (or equivalent), two of which must be in a science subject (ideally biology) at grade B or above. Five GCSE’s at grade C and above including Mathematics and English (or equivalent).
Future prospects Because of the technical experience you will gain from this role, you will gain skills which many graduates have yet to develop. If you demonstrate practical ability in addition to problem solving ability there are limitless opportunities for progression within the Life Sciences sector. Apprentices may be eligible to annual wage increments subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals.
Things to consider The individual will be working within a laboratory environment and must therefore adhere to site dress code procedures and personal hygiene standards during testing activities (e.g. correct use of PPE such as laboratory coats and glasses). The individual will be required to handle hazardous materials (e.g. chemicals, microorganisms) and so must adhere to the relevant procedures.