Research Associate Jobs Vacancy at University Glasgow Glasgow
University Glasgow Glasgow urgently required following position for Research Associate. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Research Associate Jobs Vacancy at University Glasgow Glasgow Jobs Details:
To make a leading contribution to the project: Building capacity of Vietnam schools to implement radical and comprehensive reforms: Designing and piloting interventions through professional development. Specifically, the job requires expert knowledge in the area of research methods (especially qualitative and action learning, and quantitative) and school and system educational reform, including curriculum, pedagogy and leadership. The post-holder will also be required to contribute to the formulation and submission of research publications and research proposals as well as help manage and direct this complex and challenging project as opportunities allow.
Main Duties and Responsibilities Perform the following activities in conjunction with the Principal Investigator (PI) as appropriate:
1. Take a leading role in the planning and conduct of assigned research, individually or jointly, in accordance with the project deliverables and project/School/College/University research strategy.
2. Document research output including analysis and interpretation of all data, maintaining records and databases, drafting progress reports and papers as appropriate.
3. Establish and maintain your research profile and reputation and that of the School/College/University, including establishing and sustaining a track record of independent and joint publications of international quality in high profile/quality refereed journals, enhancing the research impact in terms of economic/societal benefit, gathering indicators of esteem and identifying opportunities for knowledge exchange.
4. Survey the research literature and environment, understand the research challenges associated with the project and subject area, and develop/implement a suitable research strategy.
5. Present work at international and national conferences, at internal and external seminars, colloquia and workshops to develop and enhance the research profile of the School/College/University.
6. Take a leading role in the identification of potential funding sources and assist in the development of proposals to secure funding from internal and external bodies to support future research.
7. Take a leading role in developing and maintaining collaborations with colleagues across the project and in the broader School/College/University and wider community (e.g. Academic and other collaborators/partners).
8. Take a leading role in team/group meetings/seminars/workshops and School research group activities to enhance the wider knowledge, outputs and culture of the School/College/University.
9. Take a leading role in the organisation, supervision, mentoring and training of undergraduate and/or postgraduate students and less experienced members of the project team to ensure their effective development.
10. Perform administrative tasks related to the activities of the project and School, including budgets/expenditure.
11. Make a contribution to teaching activities and associated admin as assigned by the Head of School and in consultation with PI.
12. Keep up to date with current knowledge and recent advances in the field/discipline.
13. Engage in personal, professional and career development, to enhance both specialist and transferable skills in accordance with desired career trajectory.
14. Undertake any other duties of equivalent standing as assigned by the Head of School and/or PI.
These key tasks are not intended to be exhaustive but simply highlight a number of major tasks which the staff member may be reasonably expected to perform.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience Knowledge/Qualifications Essential
A1 An awarded Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 12 (PhD) or equivalent in a relevant subject area
A2 Specialist theoretical and practical knowledge in areas relevant to the field of research
A3 A comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of current issues and future directions within the wider subject area and subject specialism
B1 Interest in international and comparative education, including high-performing school systems around the world, especially Asia. Also interest in intervention research based on action learning.
B2 Knowledge of project-specific data sources
B3 Knowledge of specialist IT software as appropriate
C1 Ability to apply knowledge of, educational reform and high-performing education systems
C2 Research creativity and strong cross-discipline collaborative ability as appropriate
C3 Excellent communication skills (oral and written), including public presentations and ability to communicate complex information, theory and concepts clearly and concisely
C4 Excellent interpersonal skills including team working and a collegiate approach
C5 Appropriate workload and time management skills
C6 Excellent IT and data analysis/interpretation skills as appropriate
C7 Self-motivated with ability for initiative and independent thought/working
C8 Problem solving skills including a flexible and pragmatic approach
C9 Good leadership skills including demonstrable supervisory skills as appropriate
C10 Willingness to travel to work in the UK and Asia, specifically Vietnam
E1 Sufficient depth of relevant research experience normally including sufficient postdoctoral experience in a related field
E2 Experience of delivering quality outputs in a timely and efficient manner
E3 A track record of presentation and publication of research results in quality journals and/ or at conferences E4 Experience of making a leading contribution in academic activities
E5 Experience of independence as illustrated by identification of project objectives from assessment of literature, design and analysis of research data and drafting of papers
E6 Experience in undertaking independent research
F1 An emerging national or international reputation
F2 Experience of working in education e.g. as a teacher or tutor
Job Features Dimensions To carry out a range of research activities and functions within academic environments of the highest national or international quality
Publish and seek funding as appropriate to subject specialism within agreed timescales
Where appropriate informal supervision and support of less experienced members of the project team e.g. postgraduate and project students
Undertake teaching or other duties in accordance with school policy and as agreed with Head of School and PI
Engage in personal, professional and career development to enhance both specialist and transferable skills in accordance with desired career trajectory
Planning and Organising
Management of time and prioritisation of all activities
Planning, organisation and implementation of research project on a weekly/monthly basis
Plan research directions that are within the available budget
React to varying project needs and deadlines
Undertake decision making on all aspects of research project/activities within remit of the role
Prioritise own, and where appropriate delegate to junior team members’, workload
Decide on research directions and goals within remit of original project proposal and, as appropriate, adjust research approaches to meet project outcomes
Identify best journals for publication and meetings/conferences to attend
University colleagues: to exchange information to ensure efficient working and to facilitate cross disciplinary working
External bodies/collaborators: proactively maintain co-operation and links at all levels to enhance profile and reputation
Dissemination: Preparation and presentation of reports/results and participation in meetings and conference calls
Research including technical and theoretical aspects, problem solving and development of novel ideas
Awareness of project and budgetary issues
Assistance to undergraduate/postgraduate students and less experienced team members with problems relating to the research project
Representation of the School/College/University through presentations at national and international events
Attendance at training events to learn and implement new research technologies)
Standard Terms & Conditions Terms and Conditions
Salary will be on the University’s Research and Teaching Grade, level 7, £34,520 - £38,833 per annum.
This post is funded until 31 October 2018.
New entrants to the University will be required to serve a probationary period of 6 months.
The successful applicant will be eligible to join the Universities' Superannuation Scheme. Further information regarding the scheme is available from the Superannuation Officer, who is also prepared to advise on questions relating to the transfer of Superannuation benefits.
All research and related activities, including grants, donations, clinical trials, contract research, consultancy and commercialisation are required to be managed through the University’s relevant processes (e.g. contractual and financial), in accordance with the University Court’s policies.
Vacancy reference: S40189, closing date: 11 October 2017.
It is the University of Glasgow’s mission to foster an inclusive climate, which ensures equality in our working, learning, research and teaching environment.
We strongly endorse the principles of Athena SWAN, including a supportive and flexible working environment, with commitment from all levels of the organisation in promoting gender equity.
The University of Glasgow, charity number SC004401.
- Apply for this job
- Email these job details to a friend
- Back to search results