Assistant Pier Master Jobs Vacancy at Associated British Ports Humber
Associated British Ports Humber urgently required following position for Assistant Pier Master. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Assistant Pier Master Jobs Vacancy at Associated British Ports Humber Jobs Details:
Full Time, Permanent Contract
Location: Saltend Jetties
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
With the support of our customers, ABP’s Ports on the Humber – Hull, Goole, Grimsby and Immingham - contribute £2.2 billion to the UK economy every year.
The Humber ports support 33,000 jobs and together handle more than 65 million tonnes of cargo.
ABP's Humber facilities offer customers close links to markets in mainland Europe and Scandinavia and expertise in a broad range of cargoes, including energy, vehicles, roll-on roll-off, containers, bulks, liquid bulks and forest products.
You will be involved in the controlling of shipping movements at Saltend Jetties as well as liaising with stakeholders with reference to shipping and delivering a quality marine service.
- Assist in investigations of Marine incidents
- Issuing of permits on jetties
- Enforcement of Statutory Regulations and Port Byelaws
- Record keeping and report writing
- Liaising with third parties for Port information
- Capable of performing ADM's duties at other parts of Hull and Goole Docks
- Carry out tool box talks and assist in risk assessments
- Safety checks on board vessels prior to and during cargo discharge
- Carry out the Port's Statutory Harbour Authorities duties in line with the ABP and Ports Safety Management System
- Act as Dock Master using designated powers when on duty
Skills and Experience
- Relevant marine operational experience to carry out duties
- Be acceptable to ABP's Harbour Board in both terms of fitness and competency to be appointed to this position
- Knowledge of the statutory, regulatory and safety responsibilities relevant to the main duties
- Good leadership and communication skills
- Good working knowledge of the Port Marine Safety Code and associated Guide to Good Practise
- Knowledge of Port Operations, and other port emergency plans
- Takes responsibility for all aspects of the supervisor role
- A flexible and committed approach to teamwork
- Undertake shift work
- Completed ABP Assistant Dock Master Training book
- Able to act as a Fire Warden
- Good computer skills
- Strong communication skills to be able to influence others while maintaining efficient lines of communication
- Able to make decisions under pressure
- Possess good problem solving skills
- Able to motivate & direct others
- Must reside within a reasonable distance of Port
- Must be prepared to travel to other Humber ports if required
- VHF operator
- Operation of HMI at all docks
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.