Software Engineer Jobs Vacancy at Stfc Didcot
Stfc Didcot urgently required following position for Software Engineer. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Software Engineer Jobs Vacancy at Stfc Didcot Jobs Details:
Salary: £37,789 - £45,988 (dependant on expertise and includes allowance)
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full Time/Part Time
Closing Date: 21st March 2018
At the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), one of Europe’s largest research organisations, the expertise of our computing staff is key to making our research happen. We work with the very latest technologies to drive advances in both hardware and software that have genuine real world applications. Whether it is the search for the Higgs Boson and dark matter, analysing climate data or genomics, our systems tackle the biggest and most challenging problems in scientific computing.
STFC’s Scientific Computing Department (SCD) develops leading edge software, computer and data storage infrastructures to support the work of world class science both within STFC and internationally. The expertise of our staff is key to making our research happen. We work with the latest technologies to drive advances in both hardware and software that have genuine real world applications. Whether it is the search for the Higgs Boson and dark matter, analysing climate data or genomics, our systems tackle the biggest and most challenging problems in scientific computing.
About The Role:
We now have several new opportunities for passionate software engineers to join the SCD ( http://www.stfc.ac.uk/SCD ), on either a full time or part time basis, offering an excellent opportunity for career development and an exceptional benefits package.
The department develops and maintains software to support the computing and data requirements of international scientific experiments. We use a wide range of technologies such as Java, C, Python, SQL, Jenkins, RESTful web services, Linux and Cloud.
Please see the following videos for more information - https://www.scd.stfc.ac.uk/Pages/Videos.aspx .
In this ‘full stack’ role you will:
- use agile tools and techniques to play a full part in all aspects of the software development lifecycle
- make sound technical decisions to guide our development of software systems
- be involved in DevOps and supporting new and existing systems
- use tools such as Jenkins to manage the continuous integration and deployment of our solutions
- we do our best to use the right tool for the job. This means you get to develop your expertise in a wide range of server and client-side technologies and you will research and make recommendations on what tools or technologies we should use when embarking on a project.
- expertise in software development using Java, Python, C++ or similar
- expertise in software engineering best practice.
- experience of whole stack software projects
- experience of managing a software development team
- degree in a technical subject or relevant experience
- experience of working in a collaborative development environment
- systems administration skills (Windows or Linux).
- good verbal and written communication skills
- ability to work independently and manage small projects.
- proactive attitude
- ability to work as part of a team
- a professional approach with a “can do” attitude.
- you must be able to travel occasionally (usually 1-3 days, but up to 1 week), within the UK and overseas will be necessary.
In addition to the competitive salary, an excellent index linked pension scheme and generous leave allowance are offered. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages ( http://www.stfccareers.co.uk ).
Receipted relocation expenses are available for this role up to £5000.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process.
From April 2018, UK Research and Innovation will bring together the seven Research Councils, Innovate UK and a new organisation, Research England. The vision for the new organisation is to be the best research and innovation organisation in the world. From 1 April 2018 your employer will be UK Research and Innovation. More information can be found online http://www.ukri.org/ .
Online applications only, please submit a covering letter and CV, ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the file name description of each document uploaded. No Agencies.
The closing date for applications is 21st March 2018, however applications will be reviewed and interviews hold on an on-going basis until all vacancies have been filled.
We want to make our application process as easy for you as we possibly can. If you experience any problems in applying for this job, or have any feedback for us about the application process, please contact our Recruitment Hotline on 01793 867000 (8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday). Please quote the appropriate IRC reference number when calling.