Legal Officer Jobs Vacancy at Standard Bank Jersey
Standard Bank Jersey urgently required following position for Legal Officer. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Legal Officer Jobs Vacancy at Standard Bank Jersey Jobs Details:
Legal: guidance across all areas and geographies to ensure: every transaction is appropriately negotiated, documented and implemented, losses arising from litigation are minimised, and legal issues carrying negative reputational consequences are avoided.
Attend timeously to legal queries and ensure quality delivery of legal documents across business lines (International Personal Banking (IPB), Wealth & Investment (W&I) and Corporate and Business Banking (CBB) and Enabling Functions in line with the relevant banking practices and procedures. General support to the Head of Legal in day to day operations of the WIN Legal function, including projects, governance, record keeping and departmental management.
Legal departmental work
- To ensure quality and timely delivery of legal department documentation.
- Attendance at committee meetings and ensure active and solution orientated participation in relation to legal matters arising.
- Conduct legal research on issues relevant to legal risk management as identified from time to time.
- Communication of legal updates on all new legislations, new bills (prior to being adopted), case law, affecting the Bank to the team and to internal stakeholders (where relevant).
Ensure accurate and comprehensive drafting/vetting of agreements
- Drafting, vetting and producing various legal documents including confidentiality agreements, indemnities and waivers, notices, various service level agreements with service providers.
- Pro-actively identify, understand, mitigate and effectively manage legal risk by, amongst others, ensuring that contractual arrangements are valid, binding and enforceable, property rights are not infringed, unintended liability to others are not incurred.
Provide legal assistance on all litigation matters involving the bank
- Assist Line Manager in the management of litigation cases against the Bank by undertaking efficient legal research, reviewing pleadings, briefing of witnesses and preparation for court hearings and liaising with external lawyers in order ultimately to achieve the best outcome for the Bank.
- Adhere with process of appointing external counsel.
Comply with Standard Bank Group and the Bank’s legal policies, guidelines, frameworks and processes from time to time.
- Comply with Standard Bank Group and the WIN’s legal policies, guidelines, frameworks and processes from time to time.
- Assist in preparing legal items paper for tabling at various committees
Establish positive working relationships with internal and group stakeholders and assist with legal reporting
- Ensure proper coordination with all stakeholders.
- Ensure adequate engagement with relevant stakeholder before finalizing legal documents and/or addressing legal queries.
- Co-ordinate legal, support function and business concerns in a solution-orientated manner to close deals/transactions.
- Establish positive working relationships with internal and group stakeholders.
- Support legal training to business units with the aim of creating legal awareness of legal risks within the business units and controls required for mitigation of same.
- Upskilling of self by gaining the required technical skills
- Maintain highest professional standards at all times.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
Formal minimum qualification 1*
Law degree/ LLB
Other qualifications, certifications or professional memberships
Law degree/ The Department Head is open to a successful candidate working towards this qualification in the role subject to holding preferred qualification 1
Experience required 1*
Job Function: Financial Services
Job Family: Banking
Years: 4+ Years
Experience Description: Experience in a banking or other financial services environment
Experience required 2
Job Function: Financial Services
Job Family: Banking
Years: 1-2 Years
Experience Description: Exposure to Legal drafting or regulatory analysis
Business area: Products BUs (International Personal Banking, International Wealth & Investment and Corporate & Business Banking), Enabling Functions, Group Legal Teams and SBSA Wealth legal team
Job: Legal advisory services
Nature of relationship: Contribute to their service delivery
Sphere of influence: Impact the individual business lines (IPB, IWI or CBB)
Description or examples: Receiving inputs and approvals in respect of SLAs rom business leads.
Role type of external contact: Various stakeholders - External Counsels, contractual counterparties.
Nature of relationship: Manage the relationship
Description or examples: Establishing and maintaining a good working relationship with external stakeholders.
Working Conditions 1: International Travel may be required
Working Conditions 2: Regular overtime may be required
Physical Requirements 1: Open plan office