Ref Software Developer Jobs Vacancy at Company Bristol
Company Bristol urgently required following position for Ref Software Developer. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Ref Software Developer Jobs Vacancy at Company Bristol Jobs Details:
- Job Requirements
- Additional Details
- How to Apply
Contract type: fixed-term (2.5 years)
Closing date: 31st October 2018
About the role:
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is the system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions, with the most recent exercise concluding in 2014. HEFCE delivered REF 2014 on behalf of the four UK funding bodies and the results have driven the annual distribution of approximately £2 billion of research funding to UK universities.
HEFCE’s work on Research, REF and Knowledge exchange transferred to Research England, which is a Council within the newly established body UK Research and Innovation.
Research England are now looking for a REF Software Developer whose role will be to deliver the software components of the REF IT systems.
The key responsibilities of this role will include:
- building accessible interfaces to web services to serve a variety of REF needs, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce
- building RESTful web services to serve a variety of REF needs, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce
- building automated tests to support our continuous deployment environment
- sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with your wider team, both developers and non-developers
- participating in-house (2nd line) support
- following best practice guidelines and help to improve those guidelines
- writing clean, secure and well-tested code
- provide technical leadership within the team, advising and working with other developers to identify the best solutions
- share knowledge in Research England ensuring that your team is understood by others and have an understanding of the working of the wider organisation
- have and apply board knowledge of core web technologies
take responsibility for solving complex issues.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. More information can be found at www.ukri.org. UK Research and Innovation is an organisation whose purpose is to support Research and Innovation in the UK.
Research England is a new council within UK Research and Innovation, operating from April 2018. As a key component of the research funding system, Research England will oversee UK Research and Innovation’s England-only functions in relation to university research and knowledge exchange. This includes providing grant funding to English universities for research and knowledge exchange activities; developing and implementing the Research Excellence Framework in partnership with the UK Higher Education funding bodies; overseeing the sustainability of the Higher Education research base in England; overseeing the £900 million UK Research Partnership Investment Fund; and the Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF).
- experience in front-end and/or back-end development, with detailed knowledge of at least one programming language
working knowledge of:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 or late
- ASP.Net Web API 2 and REST services
- strong written communication skills
- experience of collaborating with developers, QA staff, managers and users to determine requirements and/or resolve problems
- experience of working within an agile multi-disciplined development team
- educated to graduate level (preferably a computer science or maths degree) or equivalent.
- understanding of object-oriented design including dependency injection, design patterns and practices and Test-Driven Development
- understanding of secure development, authorisation and authentication e.g. OWASP top 10, identity server
- understanding of responsive web design
- ability to quickly research and learn new programming technologies, frameworks, tools and techniques
- proven ability to organise own time to meet tight deadlines
- strong verbal communication skills
- high level of self-motivation and exceptional problem-solving skills.
- working knowledge of Transact SQL (SQL Server 2014 or later), MS Entity Framework
- Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2015 or later, or Visual Studio Team Services
- working knowledge of ASP.NET Core
- knowledge of writing automated tests: Unit, end to end and regression
- working knowledge of Powershell and Powershell DSC
- application development for the cloud
- an appreciation of the Government Digital Service Standard
- an appreciation of the General Data Protection Regulation.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
RE recognises and value employees as individuals and aim to provide a pay and rewards package that motivates staff to perform to the best of their ability. The reward package includes a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process.
Please note: candidates must have the right to work in the UK as Research England does not hold a sponsorship licence.
Only online applications will be accepted and should be submitted in the form of an up-to-date c.v. and covering letter (ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the file name description of each document uploaded), which clearly outlines why you are applying for this post and how you meet the criteria described in this advertisement. Please note that applications submitted without a covering letter, or which fail to address these points, may not be considered further.
Further information regarding working for RE can be found on our website.
If you have not already logged into iRecruitment (including as a current employee); you will be re-directed to the login/register page by clicking the ‘apply now” button.
If you don’t have an account with us by choosing to register; you consent to UK SBS processing the information you provide as part of the Recruitment Service. You can select appropriate job alerts and notifications as part of your account preferences, and you are able to close your account (withdraw consent) should you wish to do so. Before starting your online application and inputting your personal details, please read our Privacy Notice which contains full details of how your information is processed once you have made an application.
If you would like to receive this advert in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), are unable to apply online or do not wish to create an account but would still like to apply for a specific role, please contact us by telephone on 01793 867000.